Assisting Victims of Reckless Driving Accidents in the Greater Houston Area
Car accidents are far too common in Texas. When they happen, they can result in extensive property damage, severe injury, or even death. What’s worse is that these situations can be avoided as a significant number of them are caused by reckless driving. Have you been injured in an accident caused by a reckless driver, contact Husain Law + Associates, P.C. to discuss your case with an expert Houston Car Accident Attorney.
Texas laws are designed to protect car accident victims. If you suffer an injury or loss due to a reckless driver, you could be eligible for compensation. An attorney can help you file and pursue a claim.
What is Reckless Driving?
According to Texas traffic laws, the term “reckless driving” refers to when a driver operates a vehicle with willful or wanton disregard for other people and their property. Although the law does not explicitly outline what constitutes ‘willful and wanton,’ some reckless driving behaviors include:
- Over-speeding in school or construction zones
- Road rage or aggressive driving
- Drag racing
- Stunt driving
- Extreme impairment or intoxication
- Running a red light
- Wrong-way driving on a highway
The definition of reckless driving outlined in Texas law is distinguishable from what might constitute reckless driving in a civil court of law. This means that a jury could find a driver reckless even if the police did not charge the driver with reckless driving.
Proving Liability in Reckless Driving Accidents
It is not uncommon for reckless drivers and their insurance companies to deny liability for an accident. This can be frustrating, especially if you were severely injured. Fortunately, a Houston Reckless Driving Accident Attorney can carry out an investigation to prove that reckless driving caused your accident.
This usually involves gathering and studying evidence, such as:
- Accident Reports: After an accident, it is usually vital to call the police to the scene. The police will then assess the scene, speak to the drivers and witnesses, and create a report. An expert attorney can obtain a copy of this report. He/she can also study other records such as dashcam footage and the 911 recording.
- Data from the Scene: The absence of skid marks in a high-impact accident is usually a strong indicator that the driver was distracted or reckless. Where skid marks are present, forensic engineers can determine how fast a vehicle was moving before the crash.
- Picture Evidence: Attorneys advise their clients to take pictures of the scene after an accident. This is because these photos can be important material evidence in proving reckless driving.
- Witness Statements: If a driver was racing on a freeway, it is possible that people witnessed the event. Their statements can go a long way in proving who was at fault in a crash.
Get Help From a Houston Reckless Driving Accident Attorney Today
Anyone injured in an accident caused by a reckless driver has rights. In Texas, however, you only have two years from the date of the accident to act on these rights. Missing this deadline could make you ineligible for compensation. This is why you should file an injury claim as soon as possible.
At Husain Law + Associates, P.C., we are dedicated to protecting the rights of victims like you. We will evaluate your case and work to ensure the reckless driver is held liable for damages. Please contact us online or call us on 713-800-1200 to talk to a Houston Reckless Driving Accident Attorney.
Talk to a Firm That's Earned a National Reputation
SCHEDULE A FREE CASE REVIEW TODAY!