HAVE YOU OR A LOVED ONE BEEN AFFECTED BY A SERIOUS BURN INJURY?
Serious burn injuries are rated as one of the most painful and devastating injuries a person can endure. In addition to pain, it can leave long-lasting physical and psychological health outcomes. At Husain Law + Associates, P.C., we understand all the difficulties and suffering that arise after a burn injury. That is why no matter how a burn injury happened – whether it is from a defective product, a hazard on the poorly kept property, or an accident burn at another party’s negligence, we will work hard to make sure are adequately compensated for pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages, recovery, and rehabilitation, and other related loses.
If you or a loved one has suffered serious burn injuries as a result of negligence, don’t delay — call today. We can also be reached by email message. Hospitalized patients and injury victims recovering at home can be visited for free initial consultations. Our contingency fee policy means that we can charge no legal fees unless we win your case.
COMPENSATION FOR YOUR BURN INJURIES
Depending on the location, severity, and degree of the burn injury, treatment can be expensive and traumatic. Any time the skin is damaged, the body cannot defend itself as well as it usually can. Even a small first-degree burn from very hot water may become infected and require medical treatment. Third-degree burns have a higher risk of infections and may take years of treatment to heal. Extensive burns can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars due to extensive medical treatments, hospital admissions, and rehabilitation for a healthy recovery.
THREE TYPES OF BURN SEVERITY
Burn management and treatment can be complex and challenging due to the different types and severity of the burn.
- First-Degree Burns: are the least severe and affect the top layer of the skin. First-degree produces redness, pain, and swelling. These burns cause minimal damage and usually heal within a week; however, they can still become infected and require medical treatment.
- Second-Degree Burns: damage goes beyond the outer layer and the underlying layer of the skin. Second-degree burns are characterized by causing blisters that are extremely red and sore. These burns may take several weeks to heal and may leave a scar or cause a permanent color change of the skin.
- Third-Degree Burns: the more severe type of burn. The damage involves the destruction of the skin and underlying tissues can affect the organs and bones. Third-degree burns can exhibit white or charred skin and can cause permanent nerve damage, extensive scarring, and even death.
COMMON TYPE OF FIRE AND BURN INJURY LAWSUITS
We can investigate your burn injury accident to find the at-fault party. Some common types of burn injuries could be caused by:
- Residential and Commercial Fires: Fires involving inadequate or nonexistent alarm systems, locked fire exits, fire code violations, and other forms of negligence.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: When a careless or reckless driver causes a motor vehicle accident, burns can result from fires, fluids, exposed wires, or tank explosions.
- Boating and Aviation Accidents: When a careless or reckless boater causes an accident, similar types of burn injuries to motor vehicle accidents can be present in addition to gasoline fires due to exposed fuel tanks.
- Workplace Accidents: Serious burns are among the leading types of workplace injuries, such as in restaurants, factories, construction sites, or warehouses. These burns can include chemical burns and scalding from exposure to fires, explosions, wiring, hazardous chemicals, compressed gasses, and hot liquids.
- Defective Appliances and Products: An electrical burn can result from faulty wiring in a household appliance or product. The manufacturer may be liable for failing to provide proper safety features or adequate warning labels.
- Other Types of Fire and Burn Injury Lawsuits:
- Hazardous and unsafe premises
- Medical negligence
- Recreational fires
ABA STATISTICS ON COMMON CAUSES OF BURN INJURY
According to the American Burn Association (ABA), in the United States, almost half a million people go to the emergency room each year to receive treatment for burn injuries. Although burn injury victims have a solid 96.8% percent survival rate, they often experience excruciating pain and are left with lingering physical effects and traumatic memories. According to the ABA, the most common causes of burn injuries were:
- 43% of burn injuries are caused by contact with fire or flame
- 34% of burn patients are scalded by steam, hot water, spilled coffee, etc.
- 9% of burn injuries result from contact with hot objects like ovens
- 4% of burn accidents involve inadvertent contact with electricity
- 10% of burn incidents involve chemical burns, fireworks, and other causes
THE CONSEQUENCES OF BURN INJURIES
The effects of severe burn injuries are painful and long-lasting. Not only are the victims subjected to excruciating pain and prolonged recovery times, but they also experience long-term psychological and life-threatening challenges. Living with the scars and disfigurement can be difficult and emotionally traumatic and victims may have to adjust to a different quality of life. Furthermore, victims will be unable to do the activities they once enjoyed and unable to work, leading to financial strain as medical debt piles up.
THE DAMAGES YOU SEEK
Burn injury statistics show that at least fifty percent of all burn injuries arise from preventable accidents. If another party is at fault for your burn injury, you may be able to recover reasonable and fair compensation. The following are the damages that can usually be claimed:
- Reasonable and necessary past and future medical expenses
- Cost of Care
- Past and future lost earnings
- Punitive Damages
- Actual Damages
- Pain and suffering (such as: disability, disfigurement, suffering, mental impairment, emotional distress, shortened life expectancy, and loss of a normal life)
Contact Our Houston Burn Injury Attorneys Today
If you or a loved one have suffered serious burn injuries at no fault of your own, contact our firm today. Our Houston burn injury attorneys are prepared to fight for your rights and help you recover the compensation you deserve for your losses.
Talk to a Firm That's Earned a National Reputation
SCHEDULE A FREE CASE REVIEW TODAY!